Pages


Thursday, June 9, 2011

Microwave Mini Apple Cake

I read about microwavable single-serve cakes the other day at The Non-Dairy Queen, and I've been trying different variations ever since. It's been quite a while since I thought a dessert attempt was worth blogging about, but there's a lot to be said for creating a quick, healthy dessert with no leftovers! I checked out the other recipes she referenced, but found hers to be easiest to follow, and re-portion (I wanted a smaller treat). Recently, it occurred to me that I could really change the flavors if I wanted something fruity, and the single-serve apple cake was born.

Microwave Mini Apple Cake

1 egg OR 1 TBSP flax meal mixed with 3 TBSP warm water
2 TBSP flour (any kind, I've tried rice flour and coconut flour, and the original post has many more)
2 TBSP quick oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp apple pie spice (optional, pumpkin pie spice would also work)
2 TBSP applesauce (optional, or just use more juice)
2 TBSP apple butter
2 TBSP apple juice (more if necessary)
2 TBSP dried diced apples (I cut up some apple rings, but I'm considering Bob's Red Mill Diced Dried Apples for future use)
1-2 TBSP agave (or sweetener of choice)


Because I'm really lazy and don't want to wash anything extra, I start with the flax egg at the bottom of a mug, and mix the rest of the ingredients in. Your final product should have a paste-like consistency. Microwave the mug on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes, and enjoy!


I also tried my hand at a pumpkin variation, with Trader Joe's pumpkin butter, So Delicious vanilla coconut yogurt, and So Delicious vanilla coconut milk. Now I have some diced mango coming in, and mango juice/mango butter at home - I'm looking forward to some mango cake! I'm also considering some form of carrot cake, which I've always wanted to make....

Note that another reason I ended up halving the original cake recipe was that my mugs didn't seem big enough, but if you have some nice giant mugs feel free to double the portions above, as well as the cooking time.

No comments:

Post a Comment